11 November 2009

BlackBird

I felt the strong beats from your tiny heart as I held you in my hands.
I pray your heart continues its infinite beat, cradled in God's hands.

Black bird.
I played with the thought of naming you Michael.
Bùt he is Michael, and you are not him. You are BlackBird.

In the hushed rush of the morning, you came. I dismissed you BlackBird, never knowing what you had to offer.
I came to your rescue from that dog, placed you in that big box and left you with some oats to nibble on.

I checked on you first thing when I got back. I let you in my room, away from the rain.
Ignoring the possible threat of bird flu my mom warned me of, I wouldnt have you anywherelse.

You, BlackBird, let yourself in my heart, you snuck in there when I was off guard.
Your tiny frame wouldnt take in much water or nourishment. You just wanted to sleep, you slept as I held you.
Your fragile frame, fit and left room in my hand. Your heart beat sending vibrations right to my core.

You just wanted to sleep, you would limp your way under my bed. And I would pull you from there, to gaze at you. Fascinated by the blue tinge in your dark lustrous feathers.

Happy to behold you, to hold you, BlackBird, you would hide, maybe from me, behind the curtains.
We bandaged your injured thigh, and I tried to teach you to stand while I supported you my hand.

You would still not eat or drink, BlackBird. O, how I worried, you must miss your kin we thought. And placed you outside. I wanted your kin to discover, and nourish your tiny frame, that was my aim.

I left you, in harms way, I could not save you. I cry bitter tears for you.
You, with such a will to live.

I comfort my sad self by convincing myself that your heart continues to beat, now in God's hands, as I could not save you.

All I can do now is love you.
BlackBird

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Followers